Student Research Projects
Student researchers participate in research activities at departments of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacký University Olomouc. Student researchers participate in research activities at departments of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacký University Olomouc. After a list of proposed student research projects is published, students may apply by submitting a filled-in application form to the particular department (see the Dean’s directive on student research projects and undergraduate teaching assistants - in Czech). Selected candidates will become student researchers appointed by the Dean. Students working as students researchers are awarded CZK 4000 per academic year (see the Dean’s directive - in Czech).
Mgr. Kateřina Čapková
phone: 585 632 061
Rules of Student Research Projects
SVOČ – rules for 2022/2023
- Each department may offer up to 10 posts for student researchers. No more than two General Medicine students may work on the same project. Several Dentistry students may work on the same project.
- Students apply for a particular project by submitting a filled-in application form to the secretary of that particular department no later than July, 14 2022. After a head’s approval and checking the number of students and topics, a secretary will deliver all applications to Ms. Kateřina Čapková (Dean’s office). One student may apply for one project only. If the student continues his research project in the next academic year, the student has to submit a new application form.
- Certificates confirming beginning work on the topic will be received by students during introductory meeting which will be held on October in Big Lecture Hall.
- The date of the conference is set on Tuesday 23rd of May 2023.
- Abstracts and posters must be submitted to Ms Kateřina Čapková (firstname.lastname@example.org) in one mail ONLY and in the week from 10th to 16th of April 2023 ONLY. The sender of the mail MUST be a student (not a tutor). If these basic conditions are not met, the student will be excluded without the possibility of appeal. Abstracts and posters need to be formatted in accordance with instructions on the student research project website; otherwise, the project will not be accepted for presentation at the conference.
- Students may change their project or tutor within the same department by means of a request sent by email till 28th of February 2023 together with a sufficient explanation to the email address email@example.com and may be considered approved after confirmation by Ms. Kateřina Čapková. The supervisor must always be listed/mentioned? in the copy and the student must have his/her consent secured.
- The conference jury will select three best student research project presentations in each of the following categories: Basic Science, Clinical, Internal Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry, General Medicine. Their authors will receive a financial award.
- All students who submit the abstract and poster and attend the entire conference will receive CZK 4000 in accordance with the Dean's directive. This sum will be divided among two or more students working on the same project based on their contributions (the decision will be made by their supervisor).
- Three projects will receive Student Awards based on the poll of students present at the conference.
- Volunteer conference organizers will receive a financial award.
Prof. RNDr. Hana Kolářová, CSc.
Doc. MUDr. Eva Klásková, Ph.D., MHA
Format of Abstract
Abstract for Collection:
Extent: 1 page
Paper format: A5
Right margin: 2 cm
Left margin: 2 cm
Top margin: 2 cm
Bottom margin: 2.7 cm
Font: Times New Roman
Font size: 10
Name of abstract: bold, upper case letters, alignment in block
Author: surname + initial; bold
Supervisor: surname + initial; bold
Highlighting important concepts in text: Italics
Alignment of text: In block
Space between paragraphs: 4 b.
Division of words: manual
Language: Czech / English
Abbreviations: not to be used
Support of grants (optional information): in Italics, at the end of the abstract
Example of the abstract (.docx)
When preparing your piece, please adhere to the following rules:
- dimensions: 140 x 85 cm, landscape orientation
- title in font size 100
- recommended font size for the rest of the poster, including descriptions of pictures and tables, is 40
- state the author’s and supervisor’s name under the title of your poster
- language: Czech/English
- requirements for pictures, photographs, charts and tables
- each item should have its own designation, number and name (e.g. Pic. 1 Blood circulation, Chart 1 The incidence of cancer, Tab. 1 Number of new patients), which are to be placed ABOVE the picture, chart or a table
- source of picture, chart or a table → place UNDER each respective item. It should be written in italics, font size 10; internet sources should be stated non-underlined and in black, date of citation should also be stated (e.g. www.lkcr.cz/informace-262.html, cit. 16.6.2014)
- individual parts of the text should be aligned to a block
- state any sources of literature
- the poster should be prepared in any graphic editor (software for preparation of presentations can be used)
- poster should be saved in PDF format
- pay attention to the visual appearance of your poster – good font type, make it legible, appropriate background and text colours, place your pictures and charts well; also pay attention to the graphic design and the colour combination
Poster example (pdf)
Compliance with these rules will make your piece easily legible and attractive!
Confirmation for credit
Confirmation for credit; Form for awarding credit for the subject "SVOČ" (docx)
SVOČ themes 2022/2023 (pdf)