Student Research Projects
Student researchers participate in research activities at departments of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacký University Olomouc. Student researchers participate in research activities at departments of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacký University Olomouc. After a list of proposed student research projects is published, students may apply by submitting a filled-in application form to the particular department (see the Dean’s directive on student research projects and undergraduate teaching assistants - in Czech). Selected candidates will become student researchers appointed by the Dean. Students working as students researchers are awarded CZK 2000 per academic year (see the Dean’s directive - in Czech).
Mgr. Hana Slováková
Science and Research Office
phone: 585 632 062
Student Research Project Rules for the Academic Year 2023/2024
- Each department shall offer SVOČ positions for a maximum of 10 students per department.
- A maximum of two students of Všeobecné lékařství or General Medicine study programs may work on one topic. For the Dentistry degree program, a maximum of three students may address one topic.
- Students should submit their applications for a specific topic for the SVOČ thesis to the secretary of a department/clinic no later than 21 July 2023. After approval by the head, after checking the number of students and topics, the secretary of the department/clinic will submit all applications at once to the dean's office of the LF UP to Mgr. Hana Slováková.
- One student may apply for a maximum of one topic. If a student continues to work on his/her thesis in the next academic year, he/she must submit the application again.
- The subject LBF/VC089 (Czech only) is prepared for those interested. It is intended especially for students who are implementing SVOČ for the first time.
- The date of the conference is Tuesday 30 April 2024.
- Abstracts and posters will be accepted ONLY simultaneously (in one email!) and ONLY during the week of 4-8 March 2024 at firstname.lastname@example.org. The sender MUST be a student (not a supervisor). Failure to meet these basic conditions will result in the student's work not being included in the abstract book or conference presentation program for that academic year.
- The format of abstracts and posters is specified in the documents placed on the LF UP website in the SVOČ section and must be fully observed, otherwise the topic will not be accepted for presentation.
- A topic or a supervisor within a department can be changed via an e-mail request sent by 21 January 2024, together with a sufficient explanation, to email@example.com and can only be considered approved after written (e-mail) confirmation. The supervisor must always recieve a copy of the email and the student must have secured their approval.
- If the topic is in Czech, the paper must also be submitted in Czech. If the topic is given in English, the paper must also be submitted in English. No other language is allowed.
- All communication with the student must be from his/her school (@upol.cz) email address.
- If a student decides (for any reason) not to submit the results of his/her work (abstract and poster), he/she is obliged to inform about this in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 March 2024.
- The expert committees will choose the three best presentations of student scientific papers in the following sections:
1) Theoretical and Preclinical Section
2) Clinical and Internal Medicine Section
3) Surgery Section
4) Dentistry Section
5) General Medicine Section
- The scholarship for the SVOČ will be provided in the amount of CZK 2000 in the academic year 2023/2024. The condition for payment of the scholarship is submitting the abstract, the poster, and presenting the work at the conference. If more than one student is working on the topic, the scholarship will be divided according to the amount of work done (determined by the supervisor).
- In the following academic year, departments will be contacted and asked to announce the topics by the end of May 2024. Students will be able to apply for the announced topics until the end of July 2024. The topics will be published on the LF UP website in the SVOČ section.
- The supervisor must have a university degree and must have an employment relationship with the UP Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and/or the University Hospital Olomouc.
prof. RNDr. Hana Kolářová, CSc. doc. MUDr. Eva Klásková, Ph.D., MHA
Abstract for Collection:
Extent: 1 page
Paper format: A5
Right margin: 2 cm
Left margin: 2 cm
Top margin: 2 cm
Bottom margin: 2.7 cm
Font: Times New Roman
Font size: 10
Abstact should be sent in Word format
Name of abstract: bold, upper case letters, alignment in block
Author: surname + initial; bold
Supervisor: surname + initial; bold
Highlighting important concepts in text: Italics
Alignment of text: In block
Space between paragraphs: 4 b.
Division of words: manual
Language: Czech / English
Abbreviations: not to be used
Support of grants (optional information): in Italics, at the end of the abstract
Example of the abstract (.docx)
When preparing your piece, please adhere to the following rules:
- dimensions: 140 x 85 cm, landscape orientation
- title in font size 100
- recommended font size for the rest of the poster, including descriptions of pictures and tables, is 40
- state the author’s and supervisor’s name under the title of your poster
- language: Czech/English
- requirements for pictures, photographs, charts and tables
- each item should have its own designation, number and name (e.g. Pic. 1 Blood circulation, Chart 1 The incidence of cancer, Tab. 1 Number of new patients), which are to be placed ABOVE the picture, chart or a table
- source of picture, chart or a table → place UNDER each respective item. It should be written in italics, font size 10; internet sources should be stated non-underlined and in black, date of citation should also be stated (e.g. www.lkcr.cz/informace-262.html, cit. 16.6.2014)
- individual parts of the text should be aligned to a block
- state any sources of literature
- the poster should be prepared in any graphic editor (software for preparation of presentations can be used)
- poster should be saved in PDF format
- pay attention to the visual appearance of your poster – good font type, make it legible, appropriate background and text colours, place your pictures and charts well; also pay attention to the graphic design and the colour combination
Compliance with these rules will make your piece easily legible and attractive!