Student Research Projects
Student researchers participate in research activities at departments of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacký University Olomouc. Student researchers participate in research activities at departments of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacký University Olomouc. After a list of proposed student research projects is published, students may apply by submitting a filled-in application form to the particular department (see the Dean’s directive on student research projects and undergraduate teaching assistants - in Czech). Selected candidates will become student researchers appointed by the Dean. Students working as students researchers are awarded CZK 4000 per academic year (see the Dean’s directive - in Czech).
In the academic year 2017-2018, student researchers and undergraduate teaching assistants will receive CZK 4000 per academic year.
Mgr. Veronika Glogarová
phone: 585 632 061
Rules for Student Research Projects for the Academic Year 2020-2021
- Each department may offer up to 10 posts for student researchers. No more than two General Medicine students may work on the same project. Several Dentistry students may work on the same project. However, topics from the previous academic year which were not possible to be finished due to the epidemiological situation and which a student wants to work on further and present them at the conference; i.e. students who will continue to work on the topic from the past academic year (2019/2020), will not be counted into the limit of 10 (this fact has to be mentioned explicitly when sending the topics from the department).
- Students apply for a particular project by submitting a filled-in application form to the secretary of that particular department no later than July, 14 2020. After a head’s approval and checking the number of students and topics, a secretary will deliver all applications to Ms. Veronika Glogarová (Dean’s office). One student may apply for one project only. (However, topics from the previous academic year which were not possible to be finished due to the epidemiological situation and which a student wants to work on further and present them at the conference are an exception, i.e. a student may have 2 topics – one from 2019/2020 and one from 2020/2021. A student has to state explicitly in the application form that the topic is from the last academic year). For any case, a student has to submit a new application form.
- Certificates confirming beginning work on the topic will be sent to students via post within September 2020 (to the address they stated in the application form).
- Students may change their project or supervisor within the same department by submitting a written application no later than February 28, 2021.
- The date of the conference is written in the Schedule of the academic year (May 25, 2021). Abstracts must be submitted to Ms Veronika Glogarová (email@example.com) no later than April 10, 2021, posters must be submitted no later than April 30, 2021. In case any corrections in abstracts are required, the corrected abstracts will be submitted by April 17, 2021. These need to be formatted in accordance with instructions on the student research project website; otherwise, the project will not be accepted for presentation at the conference. Files shall be named Author's surname_Title of presentation_Type (abstract.doc; or .pdf in case of a poster).
- The presentation is based on an electronic poster and lasts 3 minutes plus 2 minutes for questions and discussion. Dentistry students may be given different requirements on their presentation.
- The conference jury will select three best student research project presentations in each of the following categories: Basic Science, Clinical, Internal Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry; and a winning project in General Medicine category. Their authors will receive a financial award. The works from the academic year 2019/2020 shall be presented outside the competition.
- All students who submit the abstract and poster and attend the entire conference will receive CZK 4000 in accordance with the Dean's directive. This sum will be divided among two or more students working on the same project based on their contributions (the decision will be made by their supervisor).
- Three projects will receive Student Awards based on the poll of students present at the conference.
- Volunteer conference organizers will receive a financial award.
Prof. RNDr. Hana Kolářová, CSc. Doc. MUDr. Eva Klásková, Ph.D.
- Topics of Student Research Projects for 2020-2021 (in Czech) (.pdf)
- Application Form for a Student Researcher Post in the Academic Year 2020-2021 (.doc)
Completed applications including the statement by the head of the Department shall be returned to the secretary of the respective Department.
Abstract for Collection
Format of abstract for student research projects 2017/2018
|Right margin||2 cm|
|Left margin||2 cm|
|Top margin||2 cm|
|Bottom margin||2.7 cm|
|Font||Times New Roman|
|Name of abstract||bold, upper case letters, alignment in block|
|Author||surname + initial; bold|
|Supervisor||surname + initial; bold|
|Highlighting important concepts in text||Italics|
|Alignment of text||In block|
|Space between paragraphs||4 b.|
|Division of words||manual|
|Language||Czech / English|
|Abbreviations||not to be used|
|Support of grants (optional information)||in Italics, at the end of the abstract|
Example of the abstract (.docx)
When preparing your piece, please adhere to the following rules:
- dimensions: 140 x 85 cm, landscape orientation
- title in font size 100
- recommended font size for the rest of the poster, including descriptions of pictures and tables, is 40
- state the author’s and supervisor’s name under the title of your poster
- language: Czech/English
- requirements for pictures, photographs, charts and tables
- each item should have its own designation, number and name (e.g. Pic. 1 Blood circulation, Chart 1 The incidence of cancer, Tab. 1 Number of new patients), which are to be placed ABOVE the picture, chart or a table
- source of picture, chart or a table → place UNDER each respective item. It should be written in italics, font size 10; internet sources should be stated non-underlined and in black, date of citation should also be stated (e.g. www.lkcr.cz/informace-262.html, cit. 16.6.2014)
- individual parts of the text should be aligned to a block
- state any sources of literature
- the poster should be prepared in any graphic editor (software for preparation of presentations can be used)
- poster should be saved in PDF format
- pay attention to the visual appearance of your poster – good font type, make it legible, appropriate background and text colours, place your pictures and charts well; also pay attention to the graphic design and the colour combination
Compliance with these rules will make your piece easily legible and attractive!
If you have any questions regarding preparation of your poster, please contact Mgr. Jaromír Vachutka (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Poster example (pdf)
- Will the current 6th year students be able to present their work at the conference next year? Will their abstracts be included in the conference proceedings?
The current 6th year students can present their work at the conference next year outside the competition and their abstracts can be included in the conference proceedings. However, they will not obtain any financial award.
- How do I get the credits? Is there any form?
The form for confirming the course credit is here https://www.lf.upol.cz/en/scienceand-research/student-research-projects/#c23951, it should be confirmed by a supervisor and submitted to the study department.
- Can I choose a different topic for the next year or do I have to continue with this year’s topic which has not been presented?
You can choose any topic you want.
- Can I present both topics at the next conference, i.e. the topic from this year as well as from the next one?
Yes, you can. However, scholarship or any financial award will only be provided for the next academic year 2020/2021, not for both topics.
- Can student’s work on the topic be confirmed via e-mail?
Yes, either using the form mentioned above sent to V. Glogarova or the study department, or by e-mail stating the student’s full name, the topic and the name of the supervisor.
- Will any awards concerning SVOČ be paid this year?
No. No students will be given any financial awards for SVOČ this year.
1. Claudia Gürtlerová
2. Martin Mareš
3. Zdeněk Ramík
1. Dominika Lachmanová
2. Adam Rafaj
3. Pavla Pučálková
3. Alena Křesťanová
1. Marek Šlachta
2. Michaela Železníková
3. Ondřej Česák
Teoretická a preklinická sekce
1. Dominik Prachař
2. Veronika Glumbíková a Kateřina Pospíšilíková
3. David Klepárník
3. Adam Chudoba a Jozef Višňovský
Sekce zubního lékařství
1. Kateřina Brachtlová a Martina Ponížilová
2. Romana Husárová a Zuzana Koniarová
3. Adam Kovalčík a Katrin Mašková
1. Rashi Mane
2. Abdul Nadim
3. Hammaad Muin Ahmad
Basic Science Section:
Prof. RNDr. Hana Kolářová, CSc.
Prof. Mudr. Rostislav Večeřa, Ph.D.
Prof. Mgr. Martin Modrianský, Ph.D.
MUDr. Pavel Hok
Section of Internal Medicine:
Prof. MUDr. Eliška Sovová, Ph.D., MBA
MUDr. Ondřej Krystyník
MUDr. Jan Schovánek, Ph.D.
Prof. MUDr. Jan Mareš, Ph.D.
MUDr. Milan Sova, Ph.D.
MUDr. Květoslava Aiglová, Ph.D.
MUDr. Andrea Bártková, Ph.D.
Section of General Medicine:
Prof. MUDr. Jiří Ehrmann, PhD.
Mgr. Pavel Kurfürst
MUDr. Jan Strojil, Ph.D.
Section of Surgery:
MUDr. Dana Ondrová, Ph.D., MBA
MUDr. Katherine Vomáčková, Ph.D.
MUDr. Tomáš Malý, Ph.D., FEBPS
Section of Dentistry:
Prof. MUDr. Milan Kamínek, DrSc.
Doc. MUDr. Peter Tvrdý, Ph.D.
MUDr. Petr Pírek, Ph.D.
Yulia Morozova, Ph.D.